Tuesday 4 May 2010

Checking In...

So I'm finally getting back to the Unit 14 project after working on the CSM Kings Cross identity project for the past few weeks. Bad news is we didn't get through to the next round, but one of the tutors who we had to pitch to was very complementary about my typographic contribution to the project (apparently it was "spot on"!) so at least I have a recent live project for my portfolio. Apparently I can submit my CSM-KX work towards my Unit 14 grade (which I think I will have to do considering how much time I've spent on it compared to the specific Unit 14 project recently), but I'm going to work on organising the research and presentation before I post about it.

I'm planning on heading back to letterpress this week to do some more printing. I've decided the next few prints are going to be about defining my initial research question, which was 'Where did typographic conventions like escalated indents come from, why did people use them, and where did they go?'. The aim of these prints is to be a point of reference I can relate all further work back to. Hopefully it should clarify the intention of my investigation and exploration for myself and anyone looking at it. I've learned that there's not too much point in working up roughs before heading to letterpress because of all the restrictions inherent with the process so I won't post any images for now (but to slightly contradict myself, it is interesting to compare the digital roughs with the finished letterpress print). I may post the roughs with images of the prints after they're all completed.

Anyway, today has basically been about writing a bit of an epic 'to-do' list for the next few weeks. We'll see where I end up.

No comments:

Post a Comment